Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

You Know what Grinds my Gears? (apologies to Peter Griffin)


Immediately post-PARCC:
What grinds my gears as a teacher is feeling like I have no power over what goes on in my classroom.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is acting like I have  no power over what goes on in my classroom.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is actually having no power over what goes on in my classroom.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is being criticized and marginalized by people who have never been in a classroom and know education only in theoretical terms.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is having to give tests that are poorly written, irrelevant, and absolutely inappropriate for my students.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is having those tests determine the future of me, my school, and my students.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is being told that I'm ineffective because my students aren't all geniuses.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is having to be suspicious of every piece of education-oriented legislation that gets proposed at both the state and national levels.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is having taxpayer money used to fund private religious schools.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is taking money from public schools so someone can make a profit.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is education being thought of as an "emerging market."
What grinds my gears as a teacher is the duplicitous doublespeak of the education reformers.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is how public education and teachers are being misrepresented and vilified by the media.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is how teachers unions seem so out of touch with the threat of the privatization of public education.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is people in power thinking of my students as data.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is that even when VAM is shown to be trash science it makes no difference to those in power.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is the worshiping of the god of standardization.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is that it's become all about money.
What grinds my gears as a teacher is that I have to fight for the survival of public education when what I really want to do is teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment